On Saturday 02 Apr 2005 14:52, Auke Jan Kroon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Mandrake 10.0 on my aunt's computer (can be upgraded to 10.1
> if necessary) and she bought a Sharp VL-Z1S video camera with
> DV/IEEE1394/Firewire output. I don't have a video camera, so my
> knowledge about this is close to zero. Can anyone tell me which (brand
> and type of) Firewire card she should buy to connect the camera to the
> PC? I cannot find anything on the hardware compatibility list.
>
> In addition, can anyone point me to documentation about how to get it to
> work?
>
> Thanks,
>

> AJ

I don't know too much about this but my experience for what it's worth is :-

I have a panasonic DV camera and I plug it into the firewire port on my Audigy
sound card. I use Kino to handle the video, to make it work I had to add
raw1394, dv1394 and video1394 to /etc/modprobe.preload.

This worked fine on 10.0 but when I first installed 10.1 udev did not make
device node /dev/raw1394 and I had to do it manually, however there has since
been an update to udev which fixes this. You may need to change the
permissions for /dev/raw1394 so that a user can access it, tip if so
add /dev/raw1394 to the <camera> line in /etc/security/console.perms.

HTH

Pete
Ardnamurchan    Scotland