I am trying to compile my first kernel (2.6.11) using the source.   The distro
this
is for is Mandrake 10.0.

I have had a look through the README file but reading this has me unsure on the
correct process.

Firstly I untar'd it an placed it in '/usr/src'

>From there I ran 'make configold' as root and make the additional changes as
required.  Once this was complete I did a 'make' then 'make modules_install'

All as gone great so far with no reported errors.

I copied the'bzImage' from ../arch/i386/boot directory and placed this in /boot
as
vmlinux-2.6.11

>From here doubt has crept in - am I meant to copy anything else into the /boot
directory ?

I then edited the lilo.conf and added a line to look at the 'vmlinux-2.6.11'
image,
now what about the line that has the initrd=.......    what do I need to do
here ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Pete