I'm not at a Linux machine at the moment, but my recollection from when
I have done this is that there is no need to copy any files anywhere.
The make has an install option for the kernel as well as the modules.
Something like "make install modules_install".  My recollection is that
the order of the parameters is very important - but I cannot remember
what that order is!
If no one gets back to you, I'll try to post something in 9 or 10 hours
time....

BTW Where did you download your 2.6.11 source from?

Hugh