Jan....oddly enough the default screen icon for the floppy device mounts
dos formatted floppys, not ext2fs formatted ones.  Below is the last
section of my  /etc/X11/XF86Config file.  The Depth line contains the
default color depth in bits and the Modes line contains the resolutions
available via the ctl-alt - or + keys (the default is listed first).

# The accelerated servers (S3, Mach32, Mach8, 8514, P9000, AGX, W32,
Mach64
# I128, and S3V)
Section "Screen"
    Driver      "accel"
    Device      "My Video Card"
    Monitor     "ViewSonic PS790"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       32
        Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Alan