On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> >
> >     I put  ' alias rdate="rdate -sp time.nist.gov" ' in 'bashrc'.
> > All I have to do is type 'rdate' and the time and date are set
> > correctly.
> >
> Tom:
> You might also want to add "hwclock --systohc" to that
> alias so that you sync your HARDWARE clock to the software
> one as well. :-) I do it in two steps, since I'm too lazy
> to make that alias myself... :-) 'Course, you probably need
> to make the "rdate" and "hwclock" executeable files run
> SUID, so you don't have to constantly SU to root. :-)
>       John

I know it's bad form to reply to your own messages, but I
thought I'd point out the results of an experiment I did. I
su'ed to root, went into /sbin and ran "chmod +s hwclock."
Then, I exited SU status and tried to synch the hardware
clock with the software clock and got a message that only
root can modify the hardware clock. So, I guess that's one
program that just won't run SUID. :-)
        John