On Sat, 27 Nov 1999,Gerry Doyon wrote:
  | Howdy all,
  |
  | I am attempting to load Mandrake v6.0 off a CD that I have used a dozen
  | times before.  I for the most part get an error as follow:
  |
  | Uncompressing...
  |
  | CRC error
  |
  | --System halted.
  |
  | Sometimes I've gotten almost all the way through the install.  Now I
  | don;t get any further than pressing the Enter key to begin the install.
  |
  | I started with 32MB of ram and added another 32MB. Thinking that the RAM
  | might be bad I backed that out.  I added a second hard drive.  Thinking
  | that might be causing a problem I backed THAT out.  Now I am left with
  | the original comonents.
  |
  | Any ideas?  Maybe it is the RAM. Maybe it is the CD?  Maybe it is the
  | CD-ROM drive?  Any suggestions?
  |
  | Thanks in advance!
  |
  | - Gerry Doyon

If you are booting with a floppy to start the install, you may have a bad
floppy. To fix this, start the system in DOS (or Win9x). Copy the rawrite.exe
(or winrawrite.exe) file from the /dosutils folder to a folder of your choice
(in your DOS or Win9x partition). run the rawrite program and answer the
questions. When rawrite asks you for the file to write from, use

        D:\images\boot.img

where D is replaced with the CD-ROM drive letter. You will also need a good
floppy disk. When rawrite asks for a destination, give it the floppy drive A or
B. This should produce a usable boot disk for your Linux instalation.

If on the other hand, you are booting from the CD-ROM, you probably have a bad
CD, which will have to be replaced, I think.

If you are booting with a floppy, and you can boot from the CD-ROM, try that
first to save yourself all the trouble of producing the boot floppy.

HTH,

--
Ernie ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

The measure of a man is in his honor ...