Thanks Alexander for the instructions.  I got my SB Live! up and working and
it's great.  But...

Here's what I've done.

So I download the patch, update the kernel and initialize the soundcard with
a "modprode emu10k1" command.  Wohoo!  I got MP3s playing, KDE events
boinging and I'm happy.  I read more on the instructions and it says to edit
the /etc/conf.modules file to include the initialization for the soundcard.
So I add it, reboot to test it and it works fine.

So I decide to keep updating stuff.  I ran the Updates feature on the KDE
desktop.  So I run it and it finds about 10 updates.  So I figure what the
hell and run the update.  Now one of these updates is a new kernel.  Not
thinking I downloaded and installed all the updates.  Well I went to reboot
again to run the new kernel. And BOOM!  It starts to load and gets to the
"Initializing Sound Module..." line and hangs.  CRAP!

Now for the question.  I need to find a way to bypass the sound
initialization OR a way to get in and modify the conf.modules file again and
rip out the init line until I patch the new kernel.  Ideas?

Things I've already tried:
- I used the boot disk in rescue mode but it complains and says I need to
give it an "init=" parameter.
- Tried to boot to run level 1 but it still tries to initialize

Thanks,

Kyle Robinson
~ This e-mail contains 100% recycled electrons ~