It's not a weird question.  Once you install the OS, you typically want to
install additional applications.  I would probably think you were weird if
you were completely content with your OS and it's applications as it comes
"right off the shelf."

To answer your question, check out:
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/basics/index.html

It explains how to install applications that are packaged in either RPM or
tarball formats.  An RPM file is vaguely similar to a Windows
self-extracting installation file.  A tarball is vaguely similar to a DOS
zip file.  An RPM is packaged to work with a particular Linux distribution.
All Redhat RPM files will also work on Linux Mandrake.

HTH,
Matt