Frank Arnold wrote:

> Autostart
> Look inside the folders in Autostart and you will find lots
> of icons for applications that are not on your desktop.
> Like to have one or more on the desktop?
> Drab it from autostart to the desktop and select "Copy"
> from the window that pops up. Now it's ready to use with one click.
>
> Template
> Want to run your favorite command line application from
> a desktop icon? Drag the gear icon in Template to the desktop
> and select "Copy" (don't select "Move" or you will not be able
> to do this again.) Now right click on the gear and select
> "Properties" Input the requested information in the dialog
> box that appears, click on the gear icon that is inside the
> dialog box to select a new icon for your applicaton or
> executable script, select OK and you have a new application
> icon ready to use. I used it to create an icon for minicom,
> Midnight Commander (-c on) and a script I use with fetchmail.
>
> My recommendation then would be to keep them unless you are
> setting the machine up for a user and you don't want making
> changes easy for them.
>
> Frank Arnold
> On 10 Dec 1999, Pixel wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there anybody here who uses the Template or/and Autostart folders in KDE?
> >
> > (otherwise we're gonna remove them!)
> >
> > cu Pixel.

Hello Frank,
I tried your excellent template suggestion to create an icon for
midnight commander.  I got as far as an icon that opens konsole but I
can't get mc to start.  Could you elaborate for a newbie, please.  Also,
I can't get the Autostart directory to open;  instaed I get the error:
The config file has no "Type=..." line.  Can you help, please?
Regards,
--
Dennis Robertson  2/2 Sylvia Street NOOSAVILLE QLD 4566 AUSTRALIA
Phone: 61 7 54742343  Mobile: 0419 535539  Fax: Phone first.