On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Dennis Robertson wrote:
 | Hello List,
 | I am trying this post again in case someone new can help.  When I select
 | Kppp as user I get an error message to the effect that the kernel (the
 | latest update -22mdk) has no Kppp support and to consult my system
 | administrator or use a kernel with Kppp support.  When I click OK I get
 | a fully functioning Kppp panel.  Anyone know how to zap this message?

You get this message because the updated kernel was not compiled with pppd
support. The only way I know to kill such a message would be to re-compile the
kernel with pppd support. If you have the header and source rpms, you should be
able to do this. If you still have the -7 kernel available you can use it
instead, it's working fine for me - but then I have no need for RAID support at
this time.

 | Also, as user, when I close down Star Office I get an error message:
 | Error opening configuration file.  I click OK and SO shuts down.  I had
 | a disaster installing SO as User so I uninstalled and reinstalled as
 | root.  Maybe I screwed up doing that.  Can anyone help?  ( I am posting
 | to this list because I feel it is not an SO-specific problem.)
 | Thanks.

Go check out the sun site, there is a security notice there you will want to
read. SO5.1a should be installed as a normal user, not as root for system
security reasons. This is explained on the SO home page, and they also provide
a procedure to change the permissions for SO and all its files. This perhaps
will fix the error you are getting when you shut down SO.

>From what I read here, your system is working correctly. It's telling you about
two problems which are not critical, but they could lead to other more serious
things later.

HTH,

Ernie
____