On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Dennis Robertson wrote:
  |  Hello List,
  |
  |  Well this is really strange.  I have 5.1a for Windows and it connects,
  |  downloads email and browses no problem.  Apart from some minor cosmetic
  |  improvements it looks the same as 5.1a for Linux.  Only problem is the
  |  Linux version with exactly the same settings will not connect.  It says
  |  connecting to mail server etc and just sits there.  If I click the SO
  |  icon it says unable to resolve address.  When I shut down I get an
  |  unrecoverable error message.  Anyone Know what is going on and how to
  |  fix it?  BTW I have researched the archive and have Sams Teach yourself
  |  Star Office 5 for Linux.  I am just not connecting somehow.
  |  Thanks.
  |  --
  |  Dennis Robertson  2/2 Sylvia Street NOOSAVILLE QLD 4566 AUSTRALIA
  |  Phone: 61 7 54742343  Mobile: 0419 535539  Fax: Phone first.

Dennis,

I am not trying to be smart or anything like that, but did you connect with
pppd first? Or perhaps kppp? It has been my experience that Linux does not
automate things like connecting to the web for you. Personally I like this
policy. It takes a little more concious thought on my part, but in the end I am
more secure with my system. Make sure that you are connected to your ISP then
try the SO51a stuf again.

HTH,

Ernie