|  > Dennis,
  |  >
  |  > I am not trying to be smart or anything like that, but did you connect with
  |  > pppd first? Or perhaps kppp? It has been my experience that Linux does not
  |  > automate things like connecting to the web for you. Personally I like this
  |  > policy. It takes a little more concious thought on my part, but in the end I am
  |  > more secure with my system. Make sure that you are connected to your ISP then
  |  > try the SO51a stuf again.
  |  >
  |  > HTH,
  |  >
  |  > Ernie
  |
  |  Ernie,
  |  I should have said that I was already connected.  Just now I got a
  |  different message that SO was unable to connect to the pop3 server and
  |  then it crashed when I clicked retry.  Now it has evidently damaged
  |  something because SO will not launch.  This has happened before and
  |  forced me to re-install.  I dunno what is going on.  Thanks.
  |  --
  |  Dennis Robertson  2/2 Sylvia Street NOOSAVILLE QLD 4566 AUSTRALIA
  |  Phone: 61 7 54742343  Mobile: 0419 535539  Fax: Phone first.

Appologies, I mis understood. Look in the untar'd distribution for the SO51a
installer, and see if there is an uninstall script (seems to me the readme said
something about removing). If there is run it - I think it should remove all
the SO51a files from your system. If there is not, check the Sun site where you
downloaded the .tar file for removal information. In either case, make sure you
do the removal as the same user as when you did the install. Then while logged
on as a regular user, try re-installing again. I know there is a security issue
with installing as "root" - and it is not a good idea. I do not know enough
either about Linux or SO51a to be of any more help than this - sorry.

Ernie