FWIW - there is a kernel patch that can be applied to the stock 2.2.13
kernel that will enable the support.  This patch cannot be applied to the
Mandrake 6.1 kernel source.  If interested, you need to download the 2.2.13
kernel source from ftp://ftp.kernel.org and then apply the patch to it.

I know I was very vague, but feel free to locate and read the Ultra-DMA
mini-HOWTO.  It is very well written.  I tells where to download the patch
that I mentioned above.

HTH,
Matt