It appears I have the same problem no matter what the volume is set at for
the modem.  I turned on the debug log to watch and the sound up to listen
once the problem arose.  Still the same problem.  The modem is a PCMCIA
card.  I wonder if that could be an issue.  Although it is treated just like
any other com port.  I also tried changing from the /dev/modem to the
/dev/tty1(I think that is what is what the help file mentioned doing) and
that didn't change anything either. So I am kind of stumped at this point...

LongSnowsM