By default COMs 1 and 3 share IRQ4, and COMs 2 and 4 share IRQ3...it's
possible if your using a Serial Mouse on COM 1 and a modem on COM 3 that there
is an IRQ conflict.  I would recommend either changing Modem to a diff. IRQ
(eg: 9 or 10), or Modem to a diff COM (eg: COM 2/IRQ3).
just my 0.02 worth...:)

HTH
Jaguar

http://webmail.netscape.com.