Try reading the following:
http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO.html

It sounds like the ethernet card is hogging the resources.  I have an AWE32
PnP ISA but I don't have a NIC.  I simply ran sndconfig.  I received a
message that I had to setup the soundcard resources manually.  I clicked OK,
left the Mandrake defaults alone, clicked OK again, and had sound on my
system.

HTH,
Matt