I have had a single cron job that monitors my ip address running for quite some
time on my box with no problems.  A few days ago, I added a second job to

run "rdate -sp time.nist.gov" at specifc intervals.  It seems that after a day
or so, both jobs stop ( no email to root ), and crond returns

"can't lock /var/run/crond.pid, otherpid may be 412: Resource temporarily
unavailable"

Is it safe to delete crond.pid?

I just rebooted when this happened the other day, and it seemed to fix it, but I
don't want to reboot every day.

Any ideas as to what might be causing the lockup of cron?