>>> "Morris" == Morris Walton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[snip]

    Morris> attention to the xosview.  According to the utility, I am
    Morris> using 245M/256 M (I just added another 128 yesterday).
    Morris> This includes USED+SHAR/BUFF/CACHE.  I'm thinking that I
    Morris> need to recompile the kernel, and remove some of the
    Morris> excess, since I did a custom install and selected
    Morris> everything.  However, when I do the make zImage, I get

This will not be the reason why your system locks up.

Linux is much more efficient at using RAM than MS Windows.  Linux will
cache data and code, using as much RAM as is available.  It is not
that you are running low on RAM, but that Linux is putting the RAM you
paid for, to good use.

It does sound that you have either a lot of processes running, using
the available memory, or something you are running isn't releasing
memory when it is unneeded.

What does 'top' display over time?

    Morris> 3536 bytes.  System is 642 kB System is too big. Try using
    Morris> bzImage or modules.

    Morris> Too big for what?

Too big to boot.

Instead of doing 'make zImage', do 'make bzImage', or use modules
instead of compiling items into the kernel.

--
Mike Fieschko, West Orange, NJ, USA
Kernel 2.2.14-15mdk