On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Emerald Arcana wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
>       My Remote Telnet and Remote FTP doesn't seem to work
> anymore.  I don't think the daemons load up.
>
>       In the past, I had remote FTP server and remote Telnet
> server working, but now, I can't telnet into my machine
> anymore, which is somewhat of a nuisance.
>
>       It started to fail after I flipped through inetd.conf (or
> something like that) and shut off a few daemons and
> services.  I probably shut off Telnet and FTP too.
>
> Please tell me:
>
>       How to I turn them back on?
>
>       I'd love to know.

Do what you did to turn 'em off. :-) Also, you can re-run "setup"
from a console prompt as root and select "system services." Here's
where you configure what starts up automagically.

> While I'm at it:
>
> How do you change the port of an FTP server (provided I get
> it back up)?  I don't want it on port 21.  I would rather
> have it on another port.

Hmm....I'm sure there's a reason I'm not aware of. You *do* know that
it makes it more difficult for people to FTP in as most ftp programs
(if not all) default to port 21. That being said, it's probably in
your config file for the ftp server. Go edit that and it should
change ports for you.
        John