NO, actually John, it IS egcs I am looking for!  More
specifically, the program I use looks for the
binary file 'egcs' , which should be in /usr/bin and
complains that it can't find it! (Which I verified)

This program did work in RedHat 6.1 and RedHat 6.0 by
the way, which DID have the egcs binary.

If I look at the egcs package on the RedHat 6.1 cd, I clearly
see that /usr/bin/egcs (as well as /usr/bin/gcc, /usr/bin/cc ,etc.)
is inluded in the list of files for that package.  When I look
at the egcs package on the Mandrake 7.0 cd, I only see a file
called '/usr/bin/egcs-version' , which is NOT egcs!

Tom