John Aldrich wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, John Hanna wrote:
> > >%_Hello,
> > my name is John, I'm from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
> > I've been using Mandrake Linux starting with version 6, then 6.1 and a couple of
>days ago I checked the web site and found out that 7.0 was released. So I downloaded
>the ISO (yes on a cable modem :) ) and made a CD. but when I try to install it I get
>to the step where it said that it's initializing cd rom and it just sits there...
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > P.S. I don't know if that makes any different but I'm booting with a windows start
>up disk and using /dosutils/autoboot/autoboot.bat to start the install and when it
>asks to put the CD in, I already have it in.
> >
> John....make a LINUX boot floppy or boot directly off the CDROM. Don't
> start with a Windows system disk! I'm guessing that's your problem!
> Does your machine support booting from CD? If so, try that.
>         John

I have installed Mandrake several times on multiple computers using a
Win98 startup disk. It always works without problems. go to
dosutils/autoboot/autoboot.bat then hit enter when it asks for the
CDROM. It should continue.

The advantage to a Win 98 disk is the CD drivers are available on the
disk. I realize this is one of the ultimate sacrileges, but it is
expedient, and win startup disks are readily available. I have become a
pragmatist...if it works use it.

James Mellema, CRNA MA
Linux User #71650
ICQ #19685870