su
cd /usr/src/linux
make xconfig
(apply the changes you want)
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
(backup your old modules found in /lib/modules/2.x.x)
make modules_install
(insert a blank formatted floppy in floppy drive)
dd if=/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage of=/dev/fd0
(the above prepares a boot floppy to test the new kernel)
reboot from floppy
But first of all read the kernel-HOWTO found in any FTP site providing
linux documentation.
In order "make xconfig" to work you need the tcl libraries installed.

                        Stylianos Koutrakis
                        Department of Geophysics
                        School of Geology
                        Aristotelio University of Thessaloniki