I have found out what my problems have been with compiling.  I couldnt
compile the rpms for my graphics display driver and thanks to Warren I got
that goingas he sent me his compiled driver.  Then I have problems with
installing alsa drivers.  Again, compiling error messages and I cant do it.
I thought obviously its my system, something isnt right.  Its wasnt until I
read the alsa mini-howto and the note from Dan re needing Flex installed
that I went into the Drake rpms manager and had to install:

automake
autoconf
libtool
flex

The last one, flex, caused me hell when trying to compile when I got errors,
I rebooted and got a flashing screen.  Nothing I did fixed it and Ive had to
re-install everything again.

When I installed Mandrake I used the "recommended" option.  Which also
doesnt give you any options on what packages you want installed.  It does it
for you.  I think that for a newbie its a nasty trap.  The time I have spent
trying to get around compiling problems has been because these packages
wernt installed, and I'm NOT impressed.  Surely these above packages should
have been included in that recommended option since they are needed for
basic compiling?????

Just thought Id have a moan about it and let all you other newbies know to
watch out for this.
Check to make sure you have these packages installed if your compiling to
get hardware installed.
regards
Gina