----- Original Message -----
From: "Gina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2000 2:06 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] compiling problem

> When I installed Mandrake I used the "recommended" option.  Which also
> doesnt give you any options on what packages you want installed.  It does
it
> for you.  I think that for a newbie its a nasty trap.  The time I have
spent
> trying to get around compiling problems has been because these packages
> wernt installed, and I'm NOT impressed.  Surely these above packages
should
> have been included in that recommended option since they are needed for
> basic compiling?????

LMAO :)

IM(andrakes)NSHO you need to be an "Expert" + "Developer" to get
this stuff when you install.......

IMHO an option to choose "compiling" which installs the basic
tools/libs/headers/src would be very helpful @ install time.

Mind you, apart from developers, the only people who would
use it are the small %  with hardware probs & people setting
up fairly advanced app's .......

BTW, re: ALSA, 7.0 ships with it in /usr/src/Linux 2.2.14-15-mdk
(may not be the latest ver) all you may have to do is run the
snddevices script in the /alsa dir & load the module + maybe
load the oss compatibility one (check the included doc's).

-Warren.