I'm at a dead end here...sure hope y'all have some insight!
I'm trying to recompile my kernel for my zip100 parallel port drive. When I get
to the 'make bzImage' step, I get the following error message every time:

gcc -06 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -pipe -s -mpentium
-mcpu=pentium -march=pentium -ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations -o
scripts/split-include scripts/split-include.c
cc1: Invalid option 'pentium'
cc1: Invalid option 'cpu=pentium
cc1: Invalid option 'arch=pentium'
cc1: Invalid option '-fno-exceptions'
cc1: Invalid option '-fno-rtti'
make: *** [scripts/split-include] Error 1

I used 'make config' to configure the kernel ('make xconfig' also got me an
error and didn't start, so I just tried the 'make config' which ran fine). I
followed the directions from the HOW-TO (as well as the instructions found in
the book Linux: Installation, Configuration, Use) exactly. Nevertheless, I got
this error.

Here's what I did in 'make config': I simply hit Enter at every option, except
where I wanted to make changes (SCSI support Y, SCSI disk support Y...). Then I
did 'make dep' and 'make clean'. Then...the error when I did 'make bzImage' (I
also tried 'make zImage', but it got me the same error).

After it didn't work the first time, I made a couple of other changes to the
configuration. I DON'T have a pentium machine. It is AMD K6II. So, I entered the
K6 info into the line that gave me the option for 386, 486, 586, pentium, K6...
(My thought was, maybe this change would get rid of at least the pentium-related
invalid options, but the error is exactly the same every time).

I don't know if there is a problem with my kernel sources, with gcc, with the
settings I'm entering, or if I'm just too stupid to be doing this!

Any of y'all have a clue what this error means and how I can fix it? Thanks so
much for your help!

Lance