craig jameson wrote:

> I have just recently installed Linux on my system (mandrake6.1) and I am
> having a few problems in changing over from Windows (maybe I should not
> have put a capitol at the start of it?) please can anyone help with any
> of the following, bearing in mind that I have only been using Linux for
> a week and I have only dabbled with the console e.g ls and a few other
> basic commands!
> 1.  How can I mount my other cd drive (hdb2 I think, secondry IDE
> slave drive) my first one is mounted automatically when I boot up.
> Also I have installed Linux on my second hard disk (hda2, primary IDE slave
> drive) but how can I access my windows drive (I think it will be hda1,
> primary IDE master drive). I have a dos partition on my Linux drive and
> it is mounted at start up and has a shortcut to it on the desktop as does
> the cd rom writer  on the secondry master ide port. I have tried going
> into Linux Conf-- file systems -- access local drive and adding hdb2 and
> hda1 but cannot get it to work. Any ideas???

Craig,
Open a console and at the prompt, enter:  su
You will be asked for the root password, so give the password
This will let you work as root (you have to be root to mount/umount)
NOW...
If you haven't already created a mount point (directory folder) for the cd,
decide what you want to call it and then enter: mkdir /mnt/xxxx (where xxxx
represents the name you choose)
  This creates a place in the directory for the cd drive
  (You can then go into your kfm and view the new directory if you want)
to mount the cd, put a cd in the drive
then enter: mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb2 /mnt/xxxx (xxxx is the chosen name)
This should get your cd mounted. When you want to unmount it, enter: umount
/mnt/xxxx

Basically, you do the same for the windoze drive, too. Create the mount point.
Then, when you want to mount it, do: mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/xxxx

BTW, I'm just a few weeks "ahead" of you, and I'm learning to trust the console
more and more. The console is our "friend" that we can trust! You might pick up
a magazine or book that has some basic command descriptions (I really find
Linux: Installation, Configuration, Use helpful) and start experimenting some.
It's actually more efficient than I thought.
LB