Hello,
    After installing Mandrake7.0 perfectly yesterday and running it for
the first time, I noticed some (what seemed to be unnecessary) hard disk
thrashing.  Even when no programs are running, every 3 or 4 seconds I
can hear a little thrashing from the hard disk.  Is this normal?  Also,
my modem will still not work.  I've set up everything with linuxconf and
stuff like that, but I still get "Sorry, Modem is Busy" error.  I
noticed that when I boot my 'puter to Linux, in the boot up process, it
says "BRINGING UP INTERFACE PPP0-[FAILED]".  I'm using a PII 300 MHz
with 96 mb of RAM (which Linux recognizes totally), 6.4 gig, modem is a
CPI ViVa 56LC-SM ISP PnP (non-winmodem, i think).  I have disabled "PnP
OS installed" option in the BIOS and I'm running a dual-boot
win98se/linux machine with LILO as my boot loader.  When I check how
much of my swap partition (133 Mb) is in use, it says 130 Mb!  Whereas,
when it says how much RAM is in use, it says I have 2 Mb free out of
96mb!!!  Shouldn't Linux be using a lot more swap file and not as much
RAM?  Thank you very much to any one who can help.  Ryan.