On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, David van Balen wrote:

:~>Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:52:00 -0600 (CST)
:~>From: David van Balen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
:~>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:~>Subject: [newbie] DHCP problem
:~>
:~>
:~>The network my computer's on was down for a while earlier. It's now up,
:~>but I can't get a stable connection under Linux. If I run dhcpcd -k and
:~>then restart the daemon, it works for a while and then dies (i.e. my
:~>telnet sessions freeze and netscape can't connect to any server). Windows
:~>under vmware seems to be working fine.
:~>I'm wondering if maybe someone is using my ip as a static ip address
:~>(I don't think it's the first time it's happened) so is there a way to
:~>force dhcpcd to get a new ip address? I've looked at the man page and
:~>can't find anything that looks like it would work. I've also tried pump
:~>and it always says "operation failed."
:~>
:~>DvB

Which version of Mandrake? I have 7.0 at home, works great with DHCP.
In case you have a static address (assigned to your MAC address), you
can try setting up network withouth DHCP. You will need to know your
gateway, your own address and DNS-server address.

cu
        Denis

Mag^H^H^HDr. Denis Havlik  <http://www.ap.univie.ac.at/users/havlik>
Mandrakesoft            |||     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Austria                (@ @)       tel: (++431) 4277/51179