Seve,

Thank you for your replies.

>From little I know about this onboard audio chip it is a Yamaha 128-voice
PCI wavetable onboard sound chip (ID# SCM001413-00) that uses the DS-XG
Driver for the SE440BX2 motherboard on NT 4.0 & 95/98 systems.

As mentioned within my very first email - neither Lothar not the
install/upgrade wizard autodetected this hardware device.  OpenSound does
mention that this behaviour is common if it happens to be a Yamaha OPL3-SAx
(YMF715/YMF719) chip.  Also, they did mention that in such cases one should
manually (soundconf) the audio chip driver.  My question here are:
1. What driver are they talking about?
2. Is this some form of a generic driver from OSS that can be used with
Mandrake Linux 7 distribution?  If there is such a driver & it is an OSS
arch., do I have to pay for this driver or can I download it from one of
their ftp/mirror sites?
3. What is "soundconf"?
4. If all this does work the way they say it does, will it support XG MIDI
standards?

Once again, thank you for you reply.

Samir

----Original Message Follows----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sevatio Octavio)
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [newbie] YAMAHA Audio Chip Supported ?????
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 06:42:39 -0800

Samir,

Which Yamaha Chip set is it?  Most likely, it is not supported because
Yamaha won't release their codes to ALSA.  So you will have
to fork-out $30 ($20 + $10 for the Yamaha Module) for a driver from
http://www.opensound.com.  If you take that route you'll need to
remember the following:

Because of a Known Bug: When starting up the OSS sound driver, you will have
to include this in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local

soundon
soundoff
soundon

For some reason it won't start with the first soundon command and OSS is
aware of this problem.

Good Luck,
Seve

P.S.  Boycott Yamaha or the motherboards upon which they come.  This might
then send a message to their arrogance & ignorance.