"Greg and Crissy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can anyone help me,
>
> 1) I recently purchase an old ISA modem to use with Linux, I can't seem to
resolve the problem.  I can log into my internet service provider no problem,
but when I try to use Netscape it says incorrect name server and some other
error messages. I click on different www addresses and no go?  I'm currently
with a dial-up internet service provider.  I believe my IP address is assigned
during login.
Hi Greg,
        This problem has been discussed quite a bit lately.  You need to get a couple
of dns#'s from your isp.  Then add them to your /etc/resolv.conf
As root, add:
search <your isp>
nameserver <dns#>
nameserver <dns#>

> 2) I'm able to modify my resolution,  but the display always looks grainy?
Is this a compatibility problem with my video card and Linux?  And is there a
way of preserving the resolution, as I always have to press ctrl, shift + or -
to get the res rate I like
Try adjusting your color depth, not just your resolution.
Use XF86Setup.  Save surrent configuration, but adjust mode.
Choose a higher color depth such as 16 bpp, or even 24 or 32 bpp.
What ever resolution is listed first in xf86config will be considered the
default, I believe.

> Any help would be appreciated
>
> Thanks,
> Greg
HTH,
Mike

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?"
        --W. C. Fields

http://webmail.netscape.com.