David W wrote:

> What linux "driver" did you download for the EPSON 740 and where did you
> get it?  Are you just using printtool?  Ghostscript?  What?
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> dave w

Dave,
I got the following link from someone on this list a few weeks ago.
http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi
I think this is the one - if not, repost and I'll go find where I was! Anyway,
this site has a listing of printers (all brands), and you can navigate to
descriptions for each one, along with a link to where you can download the
drivers. I just followed the link to Epson, then 740, then got the driver
description - along with installation instructions. I downloaded it, installed
it, opened printtool, configured, and printed a test page just like that!
http://lcewww.et.tudelft.nl/~haver/linux/epson.html is the exact page where I
found the 740 driver.

I'm still figuring all this ghostscript out. Don't you "automatically" use
ghostscript any time you print? In other words, I just used printtool...BUT, I
think that means I by default also use ghostscript (right?), although I have
never done a thing to use or configure ghostscript. How's that for a clueless
answer? :)
Lance