For all you with pnp modem problems, this is how I got my usr 56k internal
ISA modem to work pnp:

1.    Type "/sbin/pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf" ##this loads info on your
ISA PnP board(s) into the appropriate .conf file.

2.    Type "/sbin/isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf"  ##this makes your existing
ISA PnP configuration active.

3.  open your isapnp.conf file.  You will have to remove the comment line
from a couple of the resources listed, depending on how you want to set it
up.  Half way down the file you'll see a comment that says multiple choice
time.
You have to choose what IRQ and com you want to use.  Com1=0x3f8,
Com2=0x2f8,
Com3=0x3e8, Com4=0x2e8.  Here is an example of what I uncommented:
# Start dependent functions: priority preferred

# Fixed IO base address 0x02f8

# Number of IO addresses required: 8

(IO 0 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x02f8))

# IRQ 3.

# High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)

(INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +E)))

This put me on Com2 IRQ 3.  After you know what com port and irq you set it
to,
you can go onto the next step

3.    Type "setserial /dev/ttySx port y irq z spd_vhi autoconfig"
##notation is as follows: "x" is your COMport, with 0=COM1, 1=COM2,
2=COM3, 3=COM4; "y" is the standard (or defined) address of that port,
e.g. 0x3e8; "z" is the interrupt used by that port, usually 4 or 3;
thus, if your modem is on COM1 with a standard address & IRQ, the line
would read "setserial /dev/ttyS0 port 0x3f8 irq 4 spd_vhi autoconfig" .
Oh, yes:"spd_vhi" is optional, I'd advise using it with a 56k modem,
mine runs faster with it, but you could leave it off without a problem.

4.    Type "rm /dev/modem"  ##you may get a "not found" message, which
is fine; if a /dev/modem" is found, you'll be asked to confirm this
removal, type "y" to proceed.

5.    Type "ln -s /dev/ttySx /dev/modem"  ##this establishes the linkage
needed for your modem, not essential, but conventional; again, "x" here
is the same as "x" in item 3 above.

6.    With a text editor, open your "/rc.local" file, add the
"setserial" command defined in item 3 above at the end of the file, save
the file and exit the editor. ##For example, if your editor is xemacs,
you'd type "xemacs /etc/rc.d/rc.local", then add the "setserial" command
line.

7.    Exit, logout, and reboot (not just restart Xserver). You should
see a line for ISA PnP devices as you boot up. That should do it :)

Thanks to Alan for help via his previous message