I'd suggest you to read the LDP (Linux Documentation Project) :
It stands on your distribution CD.
It is constitued by several packages :
nag (Network Administrator's Guide)
sag (System Administrator's Guide)
LAME (Linux Administration Made Easy)
lpg (linux programmer's guide)
and others.

To see all the LDP packages that are in the distribution, you mount
the Mandrake CD and type on a command line:
for i in /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/* ;do rpm -qpl $i |grep -q '/usr/doc/LDP' &&
echo $i ;done

Then you install the guides that want. They will stand in /usr/doc/LDP/
You should find there all the answers you need.
And there are a lot of web sites where you will find documentation about the
way linux works.

HTH
Flupke