I concurr, your mother will absolutely be a little angry... well maybe
alot... but I am a positive thinker....

apart from formatting... you can try this first...

restart the computer in MS DOS mode and go to the windows directory and use
the deltree command (there are other commands and ways, but this is usually
the easiest to explain) type (without the quotes) "deltree system.da*" and
you will most likely be prompted with system.dat and system.da0 (that is a
zero) also do the same for "user.da*" as there wil also be user.dat and
user,da0

these 4 files make up both the system registry and its backup... once these
have been deleted try reinstalling windows over the top of itself agreeing
to overwrite any newer files (ie if you installed any patches or
enhancements like IE 5 or the like you do not want older core files and
newer addon files trying to work (read CRASH) togeather.

You should only try this after you have attempted to back up any data as
[EMAIL PROTECTED] suggested... but before you try the formatting as if you
cannot retrieve the data from safe mode this may allow you to once you
reinstall windows... btw still repartition and reformat after you have
backed up all vital data...

May you be fortunate in your attempts at data recovery....

Brian