Dont think that is the correct resolution.
I went through the mandrake 7.0 RPMS and found the egcs rpms.
I think what you should have done (if not done already) is to
goto your cdrom (or the spot your dl'ed mandrake 7.0 to)
and head into the rpms dir and rpm -Uhv egcs*.rpm

I had the same problem you did with egcs, after I installed the egcs rpms
everything worked as it did in LM 6.0/6.1

Ron