From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2000 1:56 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Lucent Winmodem

> Mark LaPerriere wrote:
>
> I got a great deal on a Lucent Winmodem from http://www.compgeeks.com
> , $17. I know I've seen sites that have instructions on how to get
> this thing working. I believe I have the right "linmodem" drivers.
> Anybody know of some links? I've tried linmodems.org, not too much
> help there. Or maybe someone have a walkthrough to get this working?
> Thanks.
>
> Mark

Mark,

As far as I know there is NO WINMODEM that will work with Linux.
Period.

The problem is that win modems do not have all of the necessary chips to
function "stand-alone."  The OS must perform the functions that these
chips would have performed.  This normally would not be a problem but
the companies who make these modems have, in the past, refused to
divulge the necessary information.  Without this information, the task
of getting these modems to work under Linux is not trivial.

Regards.