Victor Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Denis, I set up a server for our office of 15 clients using Mandrake
7.0,
> it will be used for filesharing and web browsing. There is no need for
email
> or printer sharing because each Netscape client POP's their mail from an
> account w/ our web host and everyone has their own rinter. We may add a
> calendaring/scheduling app like Netscape Collaborator or Lotus Notes in the
> future. Our server is a IBM Netfinity 3000 (PII350, 128 meg, 9.1 gig
SCSI-2).
> I just installed a few nights ago and have no problem re-installing if I am
> way off on the partitions, since the server is not in use right now.
>
> I currently have it set with:
>
> /boot   - 20   megs
> /tmp    - 200 megs
> /var     - 200 megs
> /          - 500 megs
> /usr     - 1,500 megs
> /home - 6,200 megs
> swap  - 257 megs
>
> 1) When you say that /tmp and /var can get quite big, how large should I
make
> them?
> 2) Should I make a /usr/local or /opt partition for software added later?
> 3) What command will allow me to see how full / or any other partition is
> after my install?
>
> Any advice wold be greatly appreciated,
>
> Victor Richardson
=======================================
Hi Victor,
        I'm obviously NOT Denis, but I hope you don't mind my putting my US$.02 in.
I too may be able to learn something from Denis's response.
        I notice that you haven't created an /opt partion, meaning that /opt will be
on the / partition.  Since third party software usually goes into /opt, might
not the / partition fillup quickly if indeed you do install some office suites
(applixware will take up almost 200mb itself) and other major applications?
Just a thought.  sorry for the intrusion :o)
Mike

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

http://webmail.netscape.com.