Matthew Loschmann wrote:

>         I now know how to enter bios even though there is no prompt but I could
> not find this PnP setting everbody is talking about. Where is it?
>
> Please share
>
> Matt

Matt,

Every pc contains a BIOS chip (Basic Input/Output System) It tells your motherboard
and CPU how to interact with your hardware (i.e. hard/floppy drives, memory, video,
card slots, etc., even the operating system).  In most BIOS chip setups there is a
section that tells the CPU that you are running a Plug-n-Pray (PnP) operating
system.  On most motherboards that have this feature it is enabled to help M$
function properly and "auto detect" new and existing hardware.  Sometimes this
causes a problem with non PnP operating systems (linux, DOS, etc.) and must be
disabled to function correctly although this seems to occur mainly on cheaper
mobo's.

To gain access to your BIOS setup screen most motherboards require you to press the
DEL key at some time during the boot-up process (usually right after testing the
memory) whilst others require the F2 key instead.  When in doubt try them both (it
won't hurt anything) or look at that nifty little mobo booklet you got with your
computer and are probably storing in a baggie on a shelf with all the other
documentation that came with computer for immediate retrieval and reference (wink,
wink).

Disabling PnP in your BIOS will quite often fix problems people have with things
like internal modems and sound cards.

Hope it helps,
--
Joseph S. Gardner