You know you hear so much of the fact that if you have problems with Linux
that there is a large group of people who are willing to help. Just be
willing to do a little homework first and try to find the answer somewhere
in all the how to's and other documentation. If you can't find anything that
related to your problem just post your question in a newsgroup etc... and
someone who possibly overcame the problem will help with a reply. Well for
this newbie that has not been the case. I am not stupid, just inexperienced
with Linux. I have posted questions in several  newsgroups, and in this
newbie list and all I have gotten is a resounding wall of silence. Maybe my
questions aren't interesting enough or maybe not technical enough for you to
show the world that you are the smartest Linux guru on the planet. My
girlfriend suggests that I post questions in her name and maybe that would
stroke enough male ego's out there to get a response. So one last time
before I just reformat the drive and just go back to windows, maybe one
person who has been there will take a few minutes and write a reply .

1) I have a 3Com 3c509b nic. I cannot get this card to install. I have been
told that this card needs to have the PnP feature disabled to work properly.
The machine that I am using for my Linux installation is the family computer
and windows has to be on it for the rest of the family. What will disabling
the PnP feature do to the windows side??

2) I also cannot get Draxconf to work. From a post to this list I found that
you must install the RPM and then it would work. After installing (I think I
did, there was nothing that told me that it was installed) and when I click
on the icon nothing happens. Maybe that's another reason I can't get my nic
to work. I can't configure anything.

3) Lastly, this may seem like a very stupid question but how do I turn off
my x server and just use the bash shell? I mistakenly answered yes to the
question to start the x server on startup when I was installing Mandrake. I
am using KDE and the only exit I can find is the option that will shut the
machine down.

Please someone help. I know that Linux has a steep learning curve and from
using it so far I like it a lot and would like to use it exclusively. I just
have to get over these newbie problems. Thanks for listening
Art