Pat Mellema wrote:

> your problem is caused by some setting in
> Xconfiguration. I had the same problem and had changed
> a setting that was probed. I rebooted from the floppy
> that I made and went back in and changed it back and
> the system came right back up.
>
> Pat

> > > :- 7

> > (ps aux | grep X)?
> > > xfs        373    0.0    4.3    3772    2752?    S
> >    Mar15    0:00
> > xfs -port -1 -dae
> > > root    11508    0.0    1.3    2440    856    R
> > 01:13    0:00    ps aux
> > > root blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah
> > >
> > > killed 373 (between blinks)....... entered startx
> > same error message as
> > > before and still blinking
> > >
> > > Did you have your system set to go to X Window
> > when you rebooted?
> > > Don't know, maybe ?? Is that the default from a
> > *recommended* install?
> > > (cat /etc/inittab)
> > > <snip to last line>
> > > x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

Been Here, Done this...  Loop caused by bad configuration file and you
are locked into starting X.
X won't run, /etc/inittab has set to respawn, you go in circles.

At the lilo prompt

linux init 3

then it should dump you at a console.

run Xconfigurator

or

XF86Setup

or

xf86config

once you have a  good /etc/X11/XF86Config

startx

to test.

If it's good reboot and you will be back to normal