I have DSL and I am trying to set it up for my gateway to the internet. Also I would like to have it be my firewall. I currently have Pac Bell and it came with the Alcatel external modem. I have got it to the point where it will dial up and when I run ifconf I get this reading

This tells me I am getting connected to the internet. The problem is when I open the browser I get an error saying:

Warning: the following hosts are unknown:

blah
blah

This means that some or all hosts will be unreachable.

Perhaps the problem is with the name server? If your site must use a non-root name server, you will need to set the $SOCKS_NS environment variable to point at the appropriate name server. It may (or may not) be necessary to set this variable, or the SOCKS host preference, to the ip address of the host in question rather than its name.

I have looked for any info on this and an unable to find any help. Please point me in the right direction. Or tell me what I am missing.

Tom H
Triumph 595
64 Corvair
65 Corvair