Benjamin.....guess I've not been following this thread.  I
assume that you disabled the ps/2 mouse port in cmos when you
made the change?  The conflict must have been one concerning IRQ
12 which an enabled PS/2 port always takes.  Did you know that
quite a few folks have reported a problem with using a serial
mouse on a system with a ps/2 port.  It seems that DrakX senses
(even a cmos disabled one) the ps/2 port and then the serial
mouse is ignored and then the serial mouse can't be used during
the installation.

And now a plug for my favorite pointing device.  My ps/2
Logitech Trackman Marble Plus has displayed absolutely none of
the problems you describe with your three different ps/2 mice.
Of course I don't have a pnp card in my machine battling with my
ps/2 mouse controller for the sole use of IRQ 12.  :-)

Alan