John wrote:
> If you have a dual-boot set-up, when the boot selection prompt appears you
> might try typing "linux 3"; that should get you to the text-mode logon prompt.
> Log on there, then type "startx" to get into the X Window desktop...

Thanks to you and Michael for telling how to at least get logged on.
It's evidently the X font server that has the problem, but I don't
know how to fix it. Here are the last few lines in the startx output:
(--)SVGA:XAA:Horizontal and vertical lines and segments
-FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=111
failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
Fatal server error: could not open default font 'fixed'

I hope this suggests something!

Lane
----
Lane Lester / Madison County, Georgia USA
----