James wrote:

> I've tried various X-windows interfaces and I am amazed to find that after
> browsing through KDE, GNOME, XFCE3, WindowMaker, Afterstep, ICEWM, and
> Plain_X11.. NONE of them have a windows properties selection that allows
> for the editing of screen resolution!  Unless it is hidden in some quiet
> corner of the X-windows design of each, there is no such utility!

There is no core X protocol or standard protocol extension to support
such an operation.

There is a custom protocol extension, XFree86-VidModeExtension, but it's
specific to XFree86 and not appropriate to put in tools meant to be used
in any X environment (like KDE, Gnome, etc.). One of its capabilities is
to switch between various resolutions that are defined in the XF86Config
file -- that is, do the same thing programatically that you can do with
ctl-alt-+ and ctl-alt--. Unfortunately, you can't plug in arbitrary
resolutions.

If you want to try using the extension, run "xvidtune" - it gives you a
GUI to access the extension.

Nathan