Might take a look at card and see if there are jumpers on it.  No manuals to be
had online.  Hayes went out of business(ACK!)
If jumpers then set jumpers (See generic instructions lower down page).  Don't
run program if jumpers on card can be set.

If no jumpers do

http://www.modemhelp.com/modemX/forum/hayes.cgi?read=4803

Read it quick, it is likely to fall off server.

I think it might be pnp but not a winmodem, 'course I haven't had my hands on
one yet...

http://www.windrivers.com/script/drivers.asp?company=Hayes144

is the best I can do for you.

Generic Instructions (That might not work with yours)
If your machine has 2 serial ports (Not all do) and you are not using one you
should be able to go into the BIOS and disable one.  Use the address space and
IRQ made available by this to manually set the card.  Otherwise you will have to
juggle resources and might end up losing your sound card or something.

Boot windoze and run the setup program from above page.  Take it off Plug and
Pray (Plug it in and Pray it works) if you can.  Set address space and IRQ to
settings freed by disabling serial port.  Reboot.  During bootup it should show
2 serial ports again.  Now login as root and run linuxconf.

Under misc services you will find modem setup page (Just makes link from
/dev/ttyS? to /dev/modem)

Hope this helped