>>> "hsantos78" == hsantos78  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

    hsantos78> I installed Mandrake 7 and used for several hours
    hsantos78> without a problem. The problem comes know that i used
    hsantos78> root to adduser and my machine got stuck. i rebooted
    hsantos78> the machine manually (reset). Know i did add the user
    hsantos78> but says that root does not exist. can any one help me?

This reply contains some assumptions: that you were trying to create a
new user when your machine froze and you had to reboot, and now if you
try to login as or su to, root, you get "login incorrect" or "user
root does not exist".

This sounds as if pam is broken or damaged.  This happened to me and
there are ways to recover without a reinstall.  It takes patience and
some good fortune.

Go to the Mandrake expert list.

--
Mike Fieschko, West Orange, NJ, USA