what kind of modem are you using are you sure it's not a win modem if it is you
won't get it to work check to see if linux has detected your modem as most pci
modems are win modems as root hit drakconf the hardware settings and let it try
to detect your hardware in the list it shows see if you have a little plus
beside your modem if you do click and see where it says your modem is set up
tty/so com1 tty/s1 com2 tty/s3 com3 etc and in kppp hit setup and device and
match your modem up with the settings linux gave you if it finds it if there is
no plus besdie modem then you have a winmodem i had to replace both my modems
as they were both winmodems i ended up buying the AOpen FM56-ITU/2 ISA modem
and it works great