Peter;

I'm getting the same error messages.  The way I got around it was to create two
new folders under "/mnt".  I probably should have used the originals "cdrom2
and floppy", but; I'm new to linux and didn't want to screw anything up.
Anyways, I created "cdrw" and "afloppy", then;

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/afloppy

mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrw

Worked like a champ.  But, what a pain typing all this in each time.  I will be
looking into something a little easier.  But, for the meantime; it'll do.  I
have other fish to fry.  Hope this helps.

Bruce :-)