From: Mike Fieschko [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2000 8:33 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [newbie] Linux is so slow... Please help(numbers on usage)

>>> "Charles" == Charles Ulwelling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

    Charles> My mem usuage is this X 38M kfm 9M kbgndwm 7M kdm 7M
    Charles> Kpanel 5M and various others at 5 to 6 M until all the
    Charles> memory is used up, another thing is there are 10
    Charles> instances of httpd taking up over 3M's each.  I don't
    Charles> know what this process is but I can't kill any of them, I
    Charles> get an error when I try.

You say 'various others' at 5 - 6 Mb.  What 'various others'?

To stop the httpd processes, you need to do a 'httpd stop' as root, in
the /etc/rc.d/init.d directory (I think.).

To prevent the httpd daemon from starting each time you start linux,
you must be root and run 'setup' and go into "System Services" and
deselect the httpd box.  Go through what is being started
automatically at boot time, when you are in 'setup' System Services,
and you'll probably see some other daemons you truly do not need.

    Charles> As for the CPU its utilization is down around 10% or so
    Charles> and ktop is what is using it.

[snip]

If your cursor / system is slow to respond, and top shows only 10% cpu
utilization, then something else is dragging down your system.

A dumb question: you are running Linux in an ext2 filesystem (and not
Linux4Win or otherwise on a umsdos filesystem), no?  You do have a
swap _partition_ set up and in use, no?

--
Mike Fieschko, West Orange, NJ, USA
Kernel 2.2.15-0.17mdk