Charles Ulwelling wrote:

> My mem usuage is this
> X      38M
> kfm     9M
> kbgndwm 7M
> kdm     7M
> Kpanel  5M
> and various others at 5 to 6 M until all the memory is used up, another
> thing is there are 10 instances of httpd taking up over 3M's each.  I don't
> know what this process is but I can't kill any of them, I get an error when
> I try.
>
> As for the CPU its utilization is down around 10% or so and ktop is what is
> using it.

Unless you are running a web server, you probably want to get rid of
httpd - because that's what it is.  You probably have other services
running that you don't need as well after the stock install.  For
example, if you just connect to the 'net with a modem and are not on a
LAN you may have some networking services you don't need.  But even with
these extra services, it shouldn't be bogging down your system like
that.  It may be possible, however, that one of them is acting up
somehow...but thats really just a guess on my part...

I think you said in a previous post that you have 256 megs...that should
be more than enough, and I bet some people here have systems don't have
that much with real memory and swap COMBINED.  I doubt your 256 megs is
completely used up except for being used for cache.  The K Process
Manager shows a memory usage summary up top in the form of a bar.  Black
is memory used, and grays are buffer and cache.  I am willing to bet
most is light gray.  (Clicking on the bar shows actual numbers)

BTW, my KPM for some reason doesn't show swap usage, or that I even have
swap...maybe yours is the same way - in which case you can see that with
xosview or "swapon -s" as root.  If anyone knows why my KPM doesn't show
this with mandrake 7, I'd like to fix that!  (It did with 6.0 - is this
a bug with this version of KPM?)

Does your computer boot directly into X?  If not, is it slow in
text-mode consoles w/o X running?  If it does, try booting into the
console for once. HAve you tried using the basic VGA16 X server?  I'm
thinking that maybe the X server could have something to do with it in
your situation.

That abit BE6 board is common among linux users, so I don't think that
should be a problem.  I think that board is simular to the BP6 dually
that I've been slobbering over for some time as well.

What other components do you have in your computer?  Maybe one of them
or its configuration is causing the problems...  I would try using the
basic X server, and then maybe trying to get rid of a few components to
see if you can narrow down the problem.  Since nobody else seems to have
helpful advice for you, you are probably starting to get desperate right
about now.

I did have my X get slow once... I had ran Lothar under Drakconf, and it
was bogged down afterwards.  I couldn't figure out for the life of me
what was doing it.  Quitting X and restarting did not fix, and I think I
may have brought the system to a runlevel 2 then back to 3 without luck
too, but rebooting did bring the performance back. I guess I should have
listened to the warning and closed all other windows before the ISA
scan, but I just like living dangerously I guess ;-)

> > Just out of curiosity should linux run as smoothly as win98 as far as
> > opening apps, and moving the app window across the screen or is it
> > naturally jumpy and something I should get used to.

DEFINATELY NOT - I've always found it to be much smoother!

I hate to see you get the wrong impression of linux from this.  (I saw
your other post) My system is a PII300 with 128megs.  Currently I have
running: Netscape (afew windows of it), XMMS listening to internet
radio, various terminal windows and file manager windows, KPM, and the
real dog is OFFICE 2000 INSIDE WINDOWS 2000 in a VMWare WINDOW.  And my
system is just as responsive as ever.  Now, switching back to win2000
will require a load from the swap partition because I haven't touched it
in a while, but hey, I only have 128 megs so that's expected!

~Jeremy